Saturday, January 7, 2012

2011 Resolution Re-Cap: How Did I Do?

Let's see... her goes nothing!

1. I will run a 5K.(It's in April, perhaps I'll do more after the April run.)

Hmm... this did not happen. After baby #3 is born I need to get to the point where I enjoy running again. I didn't get there this year. A huge factor was Philip moved back to Minnesota to start his new job in February, making it hard to find time to run. (The girls and I stayed in NC until June.) I will work on this!

2. I will finish my parent's quilt, Aiden's quilt, Hannah's quilt, and Sean's quilt. (The last three are baby quilts, they should not take a ton of time. I just need to finish them!)

Let's see... I didn't finish quilts like I had planned. I did start and finish a special quilt, that I will blog about later. I did do LOTS of sewing before I got pregnant. So I hope to get back on the band wagan.

3. I will make crafts/sewing projects using up-cycled materials and fabric I already have in my massive stash.

I did some of this! I made Bean a cute backpack out of Philip's old sweater. I also did rags out of old towels. (I know, super exciting, right?!) I used fabric from my stash to make several baby doll outfits and some PJ pants for the girls.

4. I will make and stick to a household budget.

This is a thorn in my side. We are working on it.

5. I will pay down debt.

My Visa is paid off! We are working on Philip's credit cards and the car payments. We will pay off one of the cars and one of Philip's credit cards in the next several months. Philip's student loans are huge. We will continue to work on those, but in the end, he makes a TON more money they he would ever make without the education he received and he is happy and contributing to society. It's worth it. My student loans were forgiven as part of the Teacher Federal Loan Forgiveness Program. That was a very exciting day!

6. I will read at least 1 book a month.

I did a ton of reading! I wish I could remember all of the books. But here is a partial list:

1. Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris (Not as grand as his other books.) 

2. A Love That Multiplies by The Duggar's (I was curious and it was actually pretty interesting reading eve if I didn't agree with several things. There were several things I do with my kids that they also find very important.)

3. Growing Up Amish By Ira Wagler (Interesting look at what it's like to be Amish. Not a life changing book.)

4. Bossy Pants by Tina Fay (HILARIOUS! I have read it three times and laugh out loud every time. I love her and want her to be my best friend.) 

5. Stolen Innocence by Lisa Pulitzer and Elissa Wall (A really great book about a woman's experience growing up in the FLDS Church.)

6. It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy by Laurie Notaro (It was a light, fun read.) 

7. You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool by Celia Rivenbark (Pretty darn funny read! She is a good writer. She makes it feel like she's sitting down and talking to you.) 

8. Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Shank: And Others Bits of Delicate Southern Wisdom by Celia Rivenbark. (Also hilarious. This book is what prompted me to read #7.) 

9. We're Just Like You, Only Prettier: Confessions of a Tarnished Southern Bell by Celia Rivenbark. (Again, very funny and well written!) 

10. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (Great book and pretty darn good movie as well.) 

11. Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from teh Front Line of the New Girly Girl Culture by Peggy Orenstein (A MUST read for all moms and dads of girls. Heck a must read for everyone!) 

12. Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn (A dating drama book from a guys perspective. It was ok. Not life changing.) 

13. Birth Matters: A Midwife's Manifesto by Ina May Gaskin (GREAT read for all women. I also got to hear Ina May speak this fall. It was fantastic.) 

14. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin (Throw away/recycle What to Expect When Your Expecting. Don't donate it to the Goodwill because then some other mom will have to read it! And get Ina May's book. It's what every expecting mom needs to read. Ok, I'll step off my soap box now.) 


7. I will go on "date" nights with my husband at least every other month. (Thanks to babysitting exchanges with friends.)

Hmm... not so many date nights. It didn't help that Philip was in Minnesota and I was in North Carolina for several months. Philip's dad did give us restaurant gift cards for Christmas. We will have to get out and use them.

8. I will learn how to knit or crochet.

Nope, I didn't. But Philip is learning to knit! Does that count? So far he has knit a very cute little blanket for Ella's kitty cat.

9. I will cook more healthy meals for my family.

I have been cooking. Which is pretty exciting. Although I need more variety in my life! Gotta' work on that.

10. I will LOVE my time with my family. (This won't be so hard most days... but somedays Ella Bean can give me a run for my money!)

I've gotten more time with my family since June since I am staying home with the girls now. It's pretty grand.


Ok, that is the recap. Now to look at 2012 Goals! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment